Alison's Window

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Rudeness or Self Preservation?

This morning, an energetic, bouncing-on-his-toes guy rapped on the front door. I did not know him, and he had no logo on his shirt nor ID tag. As is my wont (also my inclination), I asked him through the door glass what he wanted.

"Can't hear you. I'll step back {about 3 feet} and you open the door."

"No, I can't. What do you want?"

Something about steaks, and then he gestured to his truck, which was either not there or at least out of sight. "We've got them for $2.00 a pound today."

If all the rest hadn't been red flags, that was!

But by then it had been a few minutes into the exchange, so there had been plenty of time to evaluate the guy and the situation. What if I had succumbed to my sense of guilt about being rude "to a perfectly nice young man just trying to make a living" and opened the door?

Any feedback?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home